Monday, July 19, 2010

Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies. Last week, I accidently bought $18 worth of chocolate chips from the bulk section of the food co-op. I was eating about 5 handfuls a day, when Adam told me that he really likes chocolate chips, but only when they're wrapped up in sugar, oil and flour. He's very tactful. So I whipped these up. Unfortunately, this made less than 2 dozen cookies, and they've been devoured in less than 24 hours. Need I say more?

1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C buckwheat flour*
1 C quick oats
dash of salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/ C oil
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1/2 C sugar (agave and maple syrup work too)
2-5 Tbs water
1/2 C chopped walnuts
1 scant cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix ingredients together, adding the chocolate chips last. Let the batter sit for a few minutes. Spoon 1/4 C blobs onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them as they cook.

I adapted this from a recipe in the Rabbit Food Cookbook, by Beth A. Barnett. Her recipe calls for less oatmeal and lots of shredded coconut, which I didn't have. It's neat that not having all the ingredients grants you the right to copy someone's recipe.

*You don't have to use buckwheat flour. Use all whole wheat, or some unbleached all-purpose flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment