Saturday, July 24, 2010

10 travel tips

I have the magnificent good fortune to have a job that requires occasional travel to the Caribbean. Although this has created a good bit of stress for me, it is also an incredible experience that allows me to enjoy my wanderlust while maintaining a (fabulous) relationship with my Adam. I leave for my first trip to the Dominican Republic in less than 2 weeks, so for me, that means I'm starting to pack.

Having spent months living in the woods of California and carrying all of my belongings on my back, I'm aware of what it means to travel light. I have spent a good deal of money on gear that is meant to make travel easier, and I'm lucky that I have plenty of skills and knowledge about packing to be prepared.

Some new things that make me a bit worried: contaminated water, malaria and dengue carrying mosquitoes and the threat of hurricanes and flooding. Of course, we had to filter all of our water in California, but we didn't have to worry about fresh fruits and veggies. We also had the pleasant experience of being eaten alive by mosquitoes (we went over Mosquito Pass several times that summer). Only once have I experienced the rains that come with hurricane season, my second time in Puerto Rico. But all of those things together create a new situation for me. I'm also slightly nervous about being vegan in very rural communities. Should make for an interesting challenge. I'm bringing luna bars and nutritional shakes, so I shouldn't be deprived.

Some things I'm thinking about as I pack:
1. It's going to be wet. No doubt about it. That means everything, especially my underwear, goes in ziplock bags. In addition to keeping things dry, they also make packing much easier. Decompress the air and the bags slip in nicely. We'll have vehicles to keep our belongings dry, but it's just good to be on the safe side. I'm also bringing a lightweight rain jacket and pants. My sandals will be fine, since it will be hot. If it were cold I'd bring waterproof boots, but I'm not concerned for this trip.
2. It's going to be hot. We've been getting humid 90+ degree days, but it could be hotter in the DR. I'm happier if I have fresh clothes to change into, but I need to limit space. That means I'm bringing quick drying materials that will allow me to use two outfits, one to wash and one to wear. This also helps because I have to spray my clothes with insect repellent, but there's only enough spray for about 3 outfits. The spray lasts through several washes. I should be just fine.
3. I will need field work clothing and resort clothing. We're doing a two day training at the resort, then field work for a week, and then 4 more days at the resort. I need versatile clothes that will be appropriate for a more professional setting as well as doing informal interviews in poor communities. That means one or two dresses/skirts for the resort, and a few pants/long shorts that will keep me protected from mosquitoes, and not too hot, while maintaining a modest appearance.
4. I need space for lots of supplies. That means I'm being skimpy with my personal items. I'll bring a small bottle of liquid castile soap (for body, face and hair) and my creme leave-in conditioner will work as a hair product to tame my curls. Toothbrush, toothpaste, FLOSS!, sunscreen, insect repellent and deodorant will be about all that I need. I will probably also bring a small bottle of water and about 10 drops of tea tree oil. I use it on blemishes and cuts as an anti-bacterial solution. It also smells good! Tea tree is  AMAZING for foot funk, if you're hiking a lot. Soak your feet in water and epsom salts and mix in some tea tree. Foot funk be-gone!
5. I'm probably going to get sick. I'm going to take anti-malarial medication (chloroquine) and I've been vaccinated for Typhoid, tetanus, Hep A and B, and all the other required vaccines. But I nearly always have stomach issues when I travel. We got a zpack prescription, but I'm also bringing Immodium and chewable fiber tablets. A coworker who traveled to Africa said she had anticipated diarrhea, but not constipation. Hence, the fiber. I'll also bring plenty of ibuprofen since I'm prone to sun headaches and I'll bring some 24-hour allergy pills. We're supplying first aid kits for all of our teams, so other items will be included in that.
6. On a long trip, I'm going to want to look pretty occasionally. That means I might bring mascara, concealer and my perfume stick. I use a great roll-on perfume oil that I can find at most food co-ops and other hippie shops. I use "Egyptian Goddess" but there are other nice scents, like Vanilla and Patchouli. I may also bring some jewelry, because it's a big part of how I express myself. I notice that I can sometimes lose touch with my Emily-ness when I travel, and it's nice to have a pair of earrings and a necklace that feel like "me". I think of it like a talisman of sorts, protecting me from getting lost in this wild world.
7. Comfort is key. Therefore, I'm bringing only comfortable shoes, clothes that I like wearing and some creature comforts like an i-pod and a good book. Comfort for me also means a good pair of sunglasses and lots of clean underwear.
8. Nothing goes as planned. That's why I like to be prepared for any situation. We might end up in the middle of a tropical storm or someone might get seriously hurt. No matter where I go, I bring some rope, my pocket knife and extra underwear (how many times has that come up now?). Some people are resourceful, but the key to that is resources. You can't use it if you don't have it. My time in the wilderness made me aware of how much we depend on Nature's mercy, and I don't take for granted that we are all still alive today because of the survival skills and instincts we depend on daily. This sounds very morbid, but I just think it's practical to think about ways that I could be more prepared in scary situations.
9. Routine is important. I am horrible at this one. When I travel, I get wrapped up in the newness of everything and forget that the Emily at home really needs some morning peace, and lots of sleep, to function properly. I usually eat at certain times and I'm very particular about balancing my meals. I am sensitive to eating too many carbs, not enough fruits and veggies, and especially getting enough water throughout the day. I drink more water than anyone I know, and I sometimes skimp when I'm traveling because it's expensive or because I forget that I need to keep that normal hydration level up. I also need to remember to brush my teeth and take more showers than I'm inclined to (when possible). 
10. Bring some tea! Although the DR is going to be ridiculously hot, it doesn't hurt to bring a few bags of mint tea. I might brew it at night and then I'll have a refreshing cool drink for the next day. This is especially important because all of the water needs to be boiled in order to be safe (or bottled or filtered). I like traveling with tea because you can ask for free hot water almost anywhere and have a nice beverage. This is wonderful in expensive airports. It's also a good idea to bring your own mug because often they give you hot drinks in styrofoam, which I try to avoid. Tea is great for making friends and helping people feel comfortable. I'm a big fan. Keep it in a ziplock bag!

With all of that put into coherent sentences, I will now commence packing! If I think of anything else, I'll make another post.

*I thought about including something about language, but since I'm fluent in Spanish I'm not too concerned. I think it's beyond crucial to learn a bit of a language before you go somewhere that English is not widely used. It's for your own comfort and for the sake of the indigenous folk who have to deal with your lack of competence to function in their country. Learn how to say things and to ask questions, but also learn what the responses might be. If you need directions someplace, but never learned "left, right, straight" you'll be useless. That is all...

No comments:

Post a Comment