Friday, April 15, 2016

My Skincare Routine

I have been on a beauty and skincare kick for...a while now. It started last fall with a couple of subscriptions to some vegan beauty boxes (Petit Vour and Vegan Cuts Beauty Box). I was so excited with the boxes because, after six years of being vegan, I was still having a tough time figuring out what personal care products were vegan. Food is easy--makeup and skincare are not always so straightforward.

The beauty boxes helped me discover and fall in love with many products, and it turns out that there are SO many options! I mostly try to stick to natural, non-toxic products that are vegan and cruelty-free. For information about ingredients, I recommend the Environmental Working Groups Skin Deep database. For lists of vegan and cruelty free products, check out Tashina Combs' amazing blog full of resources.

You'll notice these products are focused on detoxing and anti-aging. I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I've been prone to breakouts lately and I just like having more natural products on my skin. Grad school has not been kind to my skin, so I'm hoping that with time these products will help restore my skin and reduce some frowning wrinkles on my forehead.

One of the brands I was especially pleased to find was Derma E, and now I use their Hydrating Night Cream and Day Cream, as well as their Purifying Daily Detox Scrub and their Firming DMAE Eye Lift Cream. All of their products are vegan and cruelty-free, and they have great formulas that I find super effective. I've used their Hydrating Serum, but I just picked up their Purifying Youth Serum yesterday, so I'm trying that one out now. My mom, who is also vegan, has enjoyed using their products as well. I love that they look and feel high end, but they're actually really affordable.

Another affordable brand I've known about, but have recently been interested in more, is Pacifica Beauty. They're also all vegan and cruelty free. I think for a while they were mostly making perfumes and really smelly lotions, but lately they are upping their skincare game and it's amazing! I was so happy to see a few weeks ago that they launched a Cactus Water Micellar Cleansing Tonic. Micellar water is all the rave with the beauty bloggers, but all the brands I've heard them mention are tested on animals, so I could not have been happier to find a product I feel good about. Not only is this product both vegan and cruelty-free, it also smells great and the bottle looks so lovely.  I also picked up their Pore Refine Deep Detox Mask, which I think is helping to help reduce my blackheads, and I'm trying out their Cactus & Kale Oil-Free Stress Recovery Lotion. The lotion feels so nice, and unlike their earlier products, the scent is so subtle and soothing. I will say that I was also tempted to buy their Sea Change Future Youth Serum, but I got the Derma E serum instead, because it was on sale!  Next time! (EDIT: I picked it up in June, and like it just the same as the Derma E, so I just switch back and forth.)

Finally, I just discovered a local Rochester skin care company and have really enjoyed the products I picked up from them during Anthropologie's Pop Up Market in Eastview Mall. Red Moon Apothecary is located about half a mile from my house, and they make lovely botanical skin care products. Some of their products have milk or honey in them, but I found a few that are vegan. The Activated Charcoal Cleansing Cream is SO luxurious. It is like an oil cleanser, but it is so refreshing because of the activated charcoal. Like I said, my skin has been breaking out so much, and this feels like the perfect balance for my skin. Ob-sessed. I also picked up their Lavender and Citrus Cleanser, which is bright and fresh as well. The other product I picked out from them is their Hydrating Facial Serum, which is a lovely and light combination of 5 different oils plus essential oils. The jury is still out whether it's a keeper, but I think it will work well for an evening when I really want my skin to soak up hydrating and natural oils.

I seriously have so many more products that I have been loving, but I'll save those for next time! What vegan products do you have in your skincare routine? Any local, handmade brands you're proud to have discovered? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment