Friday, July 15, 2016

Minimal Summer Makeup

Here in the Northeast U.S., we have had some scorching hot days. For a while, it was also very dry, but the humidity has picked up and everything is droopy (plants and people included). I usually stick to light makeup, but that's especially true when it's so hot.

Note: The matte bronzer from Tarte is vegan, but the regular 
one is not. I have the non-vegan one pictured in the travel size, 
given to me as a gift. It is not vegan because it is made in 
China, and therefore required by law to be tested on animals.
I have normal to dry skin, with a few breakouts still, so I have a tough time finding the right balance of moisturizing products that don't leave me feeling sweaty or greasy on my face. I'm still working on a good skincare routine, but lately I make sure to wash and tone my face in the morning, and then apply a moisturizer with SPF. I like the Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisture SPF 47 because it uses titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, both physical SPFs, instead of chemicals. It is very greasy, though, so powder is a must (and I NEVER use powder).

For base, I've only been using concealer around my t-zone to even out redness and dark under-eye circles. I currently use the BareMinerals BareSkin Complete Coverage Serum in Fair. If I had the NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, I'd probably use that instead, since it's a little less greasy, but setting the serum concealer with powder works fine for me. I use an EcoTools Buffing Brush to blend in the concealer under my eyes, around my nostrils, and on any blemishes (usually around my chin). It does seem to settle into my pores around my nose, so when I remember, I try to use the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer first.

The secret to my minimal summer makeup is the Hourglass Ambient Lighting powder in Dim Light. I picked up a mini size at Sephora this spring, and could NOT figure out what to do with it. I thought it was just a setting powder, but it was way too dark for me. However, since I'm so pale, it looks really nice on my cheeks as a sort of mix between blush and bronzer. It's so subtle that I don't have to worry about going too heavy or blending to long. I've also used it as an eye shadow, and it's really subtle and pretty as well. If I feel like adding a bit more bronze, I will brush some of the Tarte Amazonian Clay Matte Waterproof bronzer to the top outside part of my cheekbones, near my hairline. And I'll brush some on my neck if I seem to pale/contrasting there.

For eyes, I'm trying out different nude/natural shades, but today I grabbed my HAN Skin Care Cosmetics 100% Natural Eye Shadow in Taupey Plum, and it's perfect for this bronzed but minimal makeup look. I put a small amount on the EcoTools Full Eye Shadow Brush, and applied focusing on the lash line and then blending out towards the crease. You could use a liner as well, but I kept it simple by just curling my lashes and applying a single coat of the Pacifica Aquarian Gaze Water-Resistant Long Lash Mineral Mascara in Abyss. As I mentioned, I used a setting powder because my face looked way too shiny. I have the Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Loose Powder, but it's really too dark for my skin tone.

I finish off the look by brushing through my eyebrows with the Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Brunette and adding some lip moisCrazy Rumors 100% Natural Lip Balm in Hot Cocoa. I should really find a lip balm with SPF--any suggestions? I don't care for the scent of the Hurraw Sun Balm, or I would use that. Let's be honest, though, I really don't like most SPF scents--they're too citrusy for me. If I could just wear a hat all the time, I totally would!
ture with the

How are you staying cool in the heat? Make sure to drink lots of water! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment