Friday, April 1, 2016

Seven tips for taking care of yourself in stressful times

I woke up feeling very antsy today. My body is agitated and all my tight spots are screaming to be stretched. No matter how much I stretch, though, I can't seem to shake the irritated feeling. Since I only have 2 weeks left until my thesis is due, I know there's a lot going on. Although I don't always feel calm and carefree, I thought I'd share some of the things I do to reduce anxiety and restlessness. I also stopped by my local grocery store and picked up some gear to give me a boost and help get through another day of statistical analysis and writing. *Ooof*

1. Stretch
As I mentioned, my body really tells me when I need to stretch. I've been working 7 days a week at my workstation, putting in time at my 40+hour/week job, and all day every weekend day finishing up my thesis. My right forearm is really fatigued from using my mouse and typing, so I'm trying to stretch it as much as possible by pulling my fingers back and down. Sometimes I press my hand flat against a wall do get that same stretch. I also try to hang in a forward fold as much as possible, because my hips are so achy from all the sitting. It helps also to clasp my hands and hang my arms over my head when I do the forward fold, to stretch out my chest, shoulders and arms. I will say that I think the main reason I'm so agitated today is that I did a very deep stretch yoga class on Wednesday, and my muscles aren't happy about going back into the tense positions that I just worked so hard to reverse. I have the same issue when I get a massage. So, word of warning, it's not always good to work all of that out when you still need to maintain the same unhealthy sitting positions! I'll save the massage for when I'm DONE with my thesis!

2. Magnesium
One thing I try to reach for when I get that feeling of heightened stress and malaise is a magnesium supplement. Magnesium is an essential mineral and most Americans are deficient because our food has less than it used to (because of overused, nutrient-deficient soil). There are great food sources for magnesium, including leafy greens, whole grains, and even dark chocolate! But when I feel this way, the easiest thing for me to do is to mix up a glass of Natural Calm, a relaxing magnesium supplement. It's a tangy, sugar-free vegan beverage mix and it's easy to drink all at once. I sometimes take it before bed if I'm feeling wired, and every once in a while I will take it during the workday if I'm feeling particularly stressed. Stress actually depletes your magnesium stores, so it really is a good idea to supplement if you have a lot of stress and pressures in your life.

3. Mineral water
Mineral water is also a source of magnesium and other minerals like calcium. My favorite brand is Gerolsteiner, and I like to buy it in the glass bottles where possible. When I have a lot of work to do, I like to sip on this fizzy, calorie-free drink. It feels luxurious and very French.

4. Herbal Tea
I try to avoid caffeine because it makes me manic. From what I've shared so far, it's obvious that I have a lot of energy and I don't always know what to do with it, so adding caffeine into the mix is usually a bad idea! But I LOVE coffee, especially with a big splash of soy creamer. So when I'm in the midst of a stressful push to get work done, I have to reach for something that won't distract my thoughts. Herbal tea is such a great option because it can have so many medicinal benefits in addition to being a calorie free hot beverage that keeps me from snacking endlessly. My favorite any time of day or year is peppermint, and I especially like the Traditional Medicinals brand. I also really like their Gypsy Cold Care tea just for its flavor, but I also think it has helped me stay healthy through this winter/stress season *crosses fingers*. Today, because of my anxiety, I thought I'd try something new. I picked up the Yogi Tea brand St. John's Wort Blues Away tea. It's very important to learn about the medicinal properties of herbal tea. For example, St. John's Wort can reduce the effectiveness of hormonal birth control, so it's best to avoid if you're sexually active and using the pill, etc., to prevent pregnancy. I think it tastes great and I do think it has helped me feel calmer as I've been writing this--though the writing probably helps too! If you're not sure what tea to try, some brands offer sampler boxes to test out. My co-workers all love tea, so we will often swap or let one another have one to try. It's fun and is relatively inexpensive, especially compared to bottled kombucha drinks or lattes. If you have a friend who lives far away, you can send each other a few bags of your favorites. I will often slip a few into cards or gift bags for my friends. Such an easy and thoughtful surprise!

5. Beans, Greens, Grains
Finally, a huge way to stave off the bad feels is to eat a healthy diet. I am *not* eating a very healthy diet lately. Because thesis. I go to the store and grab chocolate peanut butter candy, chips, baked goods, salty sandwiches and soups...and so on and so forth. So instead of getting ALL unhealthy food (come on, you know I picked up those Earth Balance PB Popps!) I picked out some wholesome foods that would be easy to prepare in my office kitchen. First, I grabbed some bananas and coconut yogurt, because it was already 10:30 and I still hadn't eaten breakfast. Then, I grabbed a box of washed baby spinach and a lemon, which I can steam in the microwave. I also stopped by the freezer section and picked up one of the Amy's Kitchen frozen meals. Guys, this is NOT that healthy, especially because of the sodium (which also depletes magnesium!) but I wanted something that had beans, greens, and grains, and this fit the bill. I also picked up a tofu scramble breakfast burrito. Hey, I need snacks that aren't full of sugar! Beans, greens, and grains all have healthy carbs that actually help with anxiety, and they also have fiber, minerals (magnesium! I'm obsessed!), and vitamins. Whenever I'm off the wagon with the healthy eating, having a bowl of these three powerhouses always set me straight.

Some other ideas...
6. Exercise
So important! But I don't have time! Sometimes I try to fit in an hour long walk with Adam when I get home, so we can catch up and I can stretch my legs and get my heart rate up a tad. We have a nice long loop that we walk through residential neighborhoods, and it's a great way to talk and check in with one another, with no distractions like screens or chores. Daily walks have become so key to my general wellbeing. If you can find a safe place to walk with someone you love, please give it a try!

7. Meditation
I do this every once in a while, but my scattered brain often talks me out of it. I've tried different apps, like Headspace and Calm, and they are great, but I just don't think of it enough. I'm trying to work on a morning routine based on the SAVERS approach, where the first S stands for Stillness or meditation. Work in progress!

So that's it! I'm really feeling better already, though my shoulder and hips will just have to keep quiet for now until this project is over. What do you do to beat restlessness and anxiety?



No comments:

Post a Comment