Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sugar-free successes

A while back, I mentioned that I wanted to go sugar-free. Adam has gone about a year with only a few sugary treats (I know he ate one of our cupcakes from our commitment ceremony, and enjoyed a treat or two at my brother's vegan wedding reception). For me, it hasn't been so simple, and it kind of surprises me because I've never really considered myself to have a sweet tooth, but I never could resist a free treat in my college years, and now I have a hard time resisting a vegan treat!
A few things are easy for me:
1. I only eat vegan foods, so the number of tempting (and realistic) snacks are more limited.
2. I never had a practice of putting sugar in things, like coffee or tea, except for the occasional espresso.
3. I really love savory foods and generally prefer cold pizza for breakfast than muffins or other sweet breakfast foods.
But there are definite challenges. Habits are hard to break and I have a bad habit of buying a huge cookie out of a vending machine on afternoons when I'm bored at work and want to go home. I also happen to enjoy eating spoonfuls of vegan nutella straight from the jar.
But I'm here to say it can be done, and one of the best ways I have found to avoid eating sugar is to eat whole foods. I still eat plenty of fresh fruit, and sometimes it's a good alternative to eating sweets. Yesterday, for example, my co-worker mentioned she was craving something frozen, and we went over to the cafeteria to look for a snack. Instead of the strawberry Popsicle, which had 25g of sugar(!), I got grapes. Not quite as cold or satisfying, but they did the trick. The nice thing about that is I increased my servings of fruits and veggies for the day and I didn't get a stomach ache from too much sugar. Here's what I ate yesterday, for an idea of a sugar-free lifestyle:
Breakfast: half English muffin with margarine, Americano with unsweetened soy creamer
Snack: banana, unsweetened ice tea
Lunch: beet and potato hash, whole wheat penne pasta with unsweetened pasta sauce and tofu sausage, zevia soda
Snack: grapes
Dinner: tofu sandwich on sourdough with watercress, potato salad with green beans
Snack: fresh blueberries

Some days are better than others (I had a sweetened iced chai today) but but when I focus on how something will make me feel, rather than how badly I'm craving it, I usually make the right decision.

Now if I could only break my NCIS habit...

1 comment: