Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Lake Shore Limited

I am fortunate to live close enough to visit my hometown by train, though far enough for it to require preparation and planning. I take the overnight train from Rochester, NY, to mid-Michigan, where my two beautiful nephews live (and most of the rest of my family, of course). Trains are my style. As someone who grew up with little access to a motor vehicle and now as an adult who does not own one, I find the train more convenient than barreling across a busy interstate at 80 miles per hour, constantly focused on the road and in many cases concerned about the lake effect. On a train, I can knit, read, sleep, and think without worrying if my life is in danger. And I would say that's pretty convenient.

The Lake Shore Limited departs Rochester at 11:00 PM and arrives in Toledo, OH in the morning, where I board a bus to my hometown university train station. The best part of my ride is when, in late spring, the sun rises over Lake Erie just as we near a portion of the track that nearly touches the shore. There is nothing like waking up on the train and seeing the golden light at sunrise filtered through antique windows, sparkling across the water and turning even the most high strung among us into daydreamers.

I will always be a lover of bodies of water. Growing up among four of the Great Lakes and settling as a young adult alongside the fifth, I can't imagine what it would be like to live far from water. And, you know, I hear so many people say that, I know it must be in our humanity. Think of the great cities of the world--are any of them landlocked? The ones I think of--Paris, London, Portland, San Francisco, New York City, Toronto, Sydney, Boston...I could go on and on--all are settled along the water's edge. Even our little town, though close to Lake Ontario, straddles the Genesee river, connecting to the Erie Canal. We all long to see the water, to know that it is there and that it is waiting for us to wake up and smile as our train "choo-choos" us towards the ones we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment