Thursday, June 10, 2010

what i ate tonight

I came home from the market today with a few interesting items. I found a bit of petite basil, purple, not quite spicy yet, and new garlic with the leaves still attached. With not much in the house, I was inspired to keep dinner simple.

I threw a pound of rotini in a pot of boiling water, and set to roughly chopping the garlic. You can use the whole bulb and up the stalk a few inches, just like scallions. I also salvaged some sun dried tomatoes that had been soaking in oil in the back of the refrigerator. While the pasta cooked, I heated the garlic and sundried tomatoes in some oil in a pan. Once the pasta was ready, I drained it and threw it in the pan, stirred everything together, and then threw in the basil at the end. Inspired at the end, I tossed in a couple of chopped strips of fakin' bacon, already cooked and a dash of balsamic.

I'd say it turned out pretty well, though next time I'll probably use less pasta or more goodies. A different pasta might have worked worked better, too. Shells or linguine come to mind.

I also picked up another quart of strawberries and a bunch of rhubarb. You know what that means...dessert-making night!

Time to finish my wine and watch some Jeopardy!
Happy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment